Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Run for Wine

Although most days I prefer beer over wine I certainly did not turn down the chance to partake in some yummy wine after my five mile run on Labor Day.

Ah, running. The sport that makes it perfectly acceptable to drink (in moderation of course) at the crack of dawn. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much.

When I signed myself and Paul up for the San Antonio Road Runner's Labor Day Whine Run through the Texas Hill Country I had no idea what was in store for me.

The run starts/finishes at a local winery and the course itself wraps through a beautiful neighborhood filled with rolling hills. The hills are why it is aptly named the Whine Run. I know that hills can quickly turn me into a big whiner pretty easily- this is something I am working on- but for whatever reason there was absolutely no whining from this girl on Monday morning. Actually my running mojo was on full blast and I had one of the best runs (time and experience wise) of my life.

Loved the scenery

Loved the volunteers- those cold sponges were a godsend

Loved the course - all roads, nice and smooth

Loved that they started the walkers a half hour before the runners - and I am sure the walkers appreciated that too

Loved seeing a thousand smiling faces happy to be doing what they love, on a Monday morning holiday nonetheless

I even loved the hills. They went up AND down which sometimes doesn't seem to happen that way

My official time was 57:09 which made me very happy. At the finish line I met up with my friend Rose, who came in 4 minutes ahead of me, and Paul who finished 19 minutes before me. That crazy husband of mine finished in 38:20 and came in fifth in his age group. What a rock star.

Afterwards we spent the morning feasting on grapes and bagels (they also had hot dogs, cheese and crackers) and a few glasses of very yummy wine. It was an amazing day and hopefully I will be back next year to participate again.




"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy."
~Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment