Friday, September 7, 2012

Half Marathon Training: Week 8 Recap

In last week's post I mentioned that my normal Saturday long run for week 8 is actually being run on Sunday because of the Alamo City Challenge - Mission Possible 10K. Because of this, my training runs for week 8 are complete. Here is a recap for you.

9/1/2012: 9 mile long run

By the end I was definitely feeling it in my legs. I managed to run the entire nine miles, slowly but still. And when I got home I took an ice bath. The cold was slightly painful but damn did it feel good. And come Sunday morning I felt like a new woman with a happy pair of fresh legs. Ice baths are my new best friend.

Since I walk for 5 minutes before and after my actual time for the 9 mile run was 01:57:32 which is a 13:04 min/mile. Not too shabby for my first 9 mile run. Next 9-miler is scheduled for 10/06 so we will see if I can improve that time at all.


After the run I went by the PX and bought a Garmin. I wasn't sure if I wanted another gadget but man am I happy I bought it. I love it! I snagged the 310XT which is a triathlon model. It comes with a heart rate monitor AND it's waterproof. Can't wait to test it out in the pool! So, going forward I will post screenshots of my activity from the Garmin site. I love that I create custom workouts, send them to my watch, and then download all the details wirelessly.  This watch is so cool!

09/03/2012: SARR Labor Day Whine Run

I wrote about this race here and if you haven't checked it out please do :)


The hills wore me out a bit at mile 4 but I got my second wind on that last mile. I think it was mostly downhill/flat which helped.

09/06/2012: Intervals

TOM came and threw off my workout schedule. This run was scheduled for Tuesday. Oh, well. That's life right?

Intervals: 5 minute warm-up walking, 1 minute running fast/ 2 minutes recovery x 6, 5 minute cool down walking


09/07/2012: Tempo Run

Thursday's run was pushed to Friday

5 minute warm-up walking, 3 mile run, 5 minute cool down walking.

I tried to maintain a 10-11 min/mile pace the entire distance. I was happy that the few times my watch notified me that I was not maintaining that pace it was telling me to slow down, not speed up.


Disregard that last 18 second segment. Accidentally restarted my watch. Lol!

So what's in store for next week? Here is a look at Week 9 on my training schedule:

09/09/2012: Alamo City Challenge 10K

09/11/2012: Intervals

9/13/2012: Hill work

9/15/2012: 4 mile run. It's a recovery week for me so my long run is short, comparatively

I also have a Thai yoga therapy session this week so I am pretty excited!

How will you be moving this week? Any runs on the schedule?

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars."
-Les Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment