Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Learning to Love the Run

I can’t tell you why or how or even when but one day I woke up, went for a run, and actually enjoyed it.
You should know that I only just began running January of this year. For the first 5 months of the year the running I did was primarily done in short bursts followed by a lot of walking/slow jogging since I was doing the Couch to 5K program which is almost entirely intervals. I did a bulk of my training for my first 5K on a treadmill which I hated.
I hate the treadmill. It annoys the shit out of me. But I didn’t know any better. I wasn’t sure how I would manage intervals on a track/road so I kept at it. Like a stupid hamster on a wheel.
I finished the C25K program and ran my first 5K in May. I was beyond happy to have achieved that goal. It was an amazing day. But you know what? I didn’t enjoy the run.
I enjoyed finishing, for sure, and enjoyed knowing I could actually run for 3.1 miles straight but the running- eh, it was for the birds.
That was it. I decided that running just wasn’t for me but since I stupidly signed up for another 5K in June I would keep at it until after that one. I couldn’t let my money go to waste, could I?
So I spent the next month running. Off and on. When I could fit it in. I wasn’t committed to getting better because I was going to give it up. But I did finally learn how to become comfortable running outside and spent the little time I was running on the track or trails.
I ran my second 5K in June and surprisingly it didn’t suck. I mean it wasn’t a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination but I actually kind of enjoyed myself. I was exhausted and sweaty and felt like that 5K took every ounce of energy out of me but I walked away feeling like I could actually like running.
So, I decided to keep at it. 2 miles at a time, 3 miles at time. I think I can, I think I can. Like the little engine that could.
People say if you are running then you are a runner. It doesn’t matter the distance.
I don’t think you would call what I was doing running. I would call it struggling. Every few days I would head out to the track for a nice early morning struggle. That’s really the best way to describe it.
But I kept at it because it was getting easier and I enjoyed it a little more each time.
Through the process of attempting to develop my running skills I read as many books, articles, blog posts as I could in search of advice. I found a lot of useful stuff but this one piece of advice really changed things for me:
SLOW DOWN
Slow the eff down!
Ok, it didn’t yell or curse at me but I did learn that my pace was way too fast. I did not have the fitness level needed to maintain that pace. Even though my legs could move that fast it was just too much on the body- my heart rate was way too high.
So I got over that pace number I was working so hard to keep and focused on a different number- my heart rate. And most of my easy runs I was running slower than I could walk but I kept that pace so I could keep my heart rate down.
And wouldn’t you know- that made a world of difference.
One day I woke up and running wasn’t so difficult. I crossed over from struggler to runner.
And now running is fun. I feel great during and after. It’s not so freaking hard.. It feels like what it should feel like. And man it is great!
Now, all of my non-speed work runs are done at a pace that’s comfortable for my body and it has made all the difference.
Thinking back on it, I can’t even begin to tell you how happy I am that I signed up for that second 5K.
Do you love to run? Was it easy from the get go or did you struggle too?
“Most people run a race to see who is fastest.  I run a race to see who has the most guts.”  ~Steve Prefontaine



Me and Paul after the Freedom 4-Miler on the 4th of July

7 comments:

  1. I was just starting to get into the meat of C25K when I got pregnant, so I never even got to the point where running felt good.

    I used to always joke that I'd never run unless I was being chased, and then only if my life was threatened. But when I started WW the last time (Nov '10), I started to WANT to be an athlete. Or at least do things that I never thought I was able to do. I was always one of the kids that got made fun of in gym class because I had no athletic ability at all. Though I did excel at badminton!

    Now, I want to be healthy. I want to see what this body is capable of. I'm trying really, really hard not to be annoyed at myself for being unhealthy my entire adult life. I hate that it takes me staring at 40 to be the person I always should have been, or wanted to be.

    I have to say, I find the changes you've made in your life so incredibly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you! I was so unhealthy and so very lazy for a very long time. I never, never, ever thought I would be where I am today. Never. But I am proof that anybody can get here. I weighed almost 300 hundred pounds last year and this year I'm training for a half marathon. Mind-blowing!

    I know you can do anything you set your mind to and I'm serious about running with you this spring! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw that you were training for a half, I was very confused! My first thought was, "Wait, I thought she hated running!" It makes so much more sense now.

    I've heard several people lately talking about HR training. Hmmm. What is your most helpful book that you've read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I made the switch from hate to love during my hiatus from Twitter/blogging so I can see why you would have been surprised. Lol!

      Well, my friend Jen who is a Polar ambassador was the one who first told me about training using your HR zones and there is a ton of info on their website as well as general info online about training in HR zones. But reading 'Finding Ultra' by Rich Roll really pushed me into HR zone training. His story is incredible.

      Do you have a HRM?

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately not right now, since the watch half disappeared during one of the many moves. But I do plan on getting a new one! I'll have to check out the website and that book!

      Delete
  4. This is just what I needed to be reminded of. As long as I keep improving that's what counts right? I am glad that you enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Running is such a personal experience. I can only compare myself today against the person I was yesterday. Get rid of the numbers in your head and that helps.

      My goal for the half is to finish. That's it. No time goal. That was the same for my first 4 miler, 5 miler, and 10K- just finish. It made them far more enjoyable knowing I was running for pleasure, not racing against a clock.

      Good luck Mari! I am so proud of you! I hope you stick with it!

      Delete