Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Where's the Champagne?

I was really excited to get out and run through my new neighborhood Sunday morning but unfortunately the San Antonio weather had other plans for me. When I woke up it wasn’t raining so I got cleaned up and changed into my gear and when I opened the front door to leave there was a river running past the entrance to my building. No bueno.
If it was just drizzling I would have still went out but it was pouring. The downside of living somewhere that doesn’t get much rain is that when it does rain things flood very quickly. Since I had never ran through this area before I didn’t want to risk running through flooded roads and possibly injuring myself in the process. So I decided I would wait out the rain.
Sadly, by the time the rain let up I was just sitting down to dinner after a very long day of unpacking and I was EXHAUSTED. So…no run for me on Sunday.
I was kind of bummed about missing the run on Sunday because I was planning on running in the daylight- helping me to scope out the area, the road conditions/paths, the traffic, etc. I knew that by skipping it meant that when I did go out it would be during the week, in the dark, at 0500 when I normally run which could be treacherous the first time around.
But I manned up and headed out this morning for my inaugural Alamo Heights (where I live now, technically not San Antonio) neighborhood run.  Thankfully there were street lights the entire way which helped tremendously. I was nervous about the whole running blind thing but it turns out I had nothing to be worried about.
I started at the entrance of my apartment complex and headed out towards the main road. I turned right and ran down towards a very busy (well, busy during normal work hours) shopping area about .75 mile from where I live. The shopping area is great to run past since it is really lit up well even when the stores aren’t open. Once I hit the end of the shopping area I turned around and headed back towards home. Since I was out to explore, and I wanted to get in at least 3.1 miles this morning to make up for missing Dani’s 5K on Sunday, I kept running- past the street my apartment is on and continued towards another main road and more shopping centers. When I hit the next big intersection I turned around, ran back to the street I started on, turned to head home. I basically ran in a giant ‘Y’. The total distance was 3.11 miles; I don’t think I could have planned it any better.






I am so happy that I was able to get out and run through my neighborhood, even at 0-dark hundred. It is a really safe community and I wasn’t too concerned about running alone. However, any fears I may have had were gone once I passed the elderly couple out walking. Heck, if the 80 year-olds aren’t worried, why should I be? I also passed a man walking his dog (who I later saw walking in my apt complex so I guess we are neighbors) and then a whole bunch of runners heading out as I was heading in. Looks like I am not the only one who likes to get their runs in early.
I think this route will be great for my intervals, easy runs, and 3 mile tempo runs. I will explore more this week for areas to do my hill runs and my 5 mile tempo runs.
I feel like I need some champagne. You know, to christen this new route. Like it's a boat or something. Of course, I'm not too sure the neighbors would like me smashing a champagne bottle on the sidewalk.
Where do you like to run? Are you a road runner or a trail runner? Or do you prefer the treadmill?
“Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” ~William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment