Thursday, September 20, 2012

What's For Dinner??? Part 1

Finally I have a meal plan in place that I am able to share with you. Yay! Now you get to find out what I eat every day. I have been following a vegan diet for just over 11 months and I love it. I love the food that I eat, the way that I feel, and I love that as an added bonus I am saving animals and helping the environment. How cool is that?
As you know, last week was all about packing which was a necessity since we were moving but definitely made it difficult to prepare meals at home.  That was rough. I can only eat out so many days in a row before my body starts revolting against me. By Sunday I was ready for some home-cooked meals. I ran out to the grocery store in the morning with just a few meals for the week in mind and went from there. This is not how I typically shop. I usually make a meal plan and a grocery list from there but this week I didn’t have the time so I went to the store and planned the weekly meals out as I went.
Here is what I came up with:
Minnesota Winter Chili from Scott Jurek’s book “Eat and Run”. This is hands down my favorite chili recipe of all time. I make it once or twice a month even when it’s 100+ outside. It was the perfect dinner for a cold (for San Antonio) and rainy day.
Vegan sausages with sweet potatoes and green beans. I try to limit my intake of soy and fake meats as much as possible but I cannot help but indulge in these vegan sausages (smoked apple sage, YUM) from Field Roast made from vital wheat gluten. So dang tasty and the whole meal is on the table in under ten minutes.
From the Engine 2 Diet book- sweet potato bowls and black beans and rice; two of our favorites. Packed with fresh veggies, legumes, and grains these meals are super easy and super tasty.
Another quick dinner – grilled portobello mushrooms with baked potatoes and steamed broccoli
No dinner plans for Friday as of yet but now that I pass Whole Foods (and soon Trader Joe’s as well) on my way home I am open to the idea of picking up some ingredients day of and making a fun meal at home.
As for the rest of my day’s meals…
I have a Vega One shake for breakfast. I am pretty much obsessed with all Vega products. You will find their; energizing shakes, protein powder, pre-workout drink, recovery accelerator, electrolyte mix, gels, protein bars and endurance bars, along with the Vega One, in my kitchen.  All natural, plant-based, nothing artificial- I have yet to find a better product.
For my morning snack I have an apple and 17 almonds
I make a huge veggie salad from the salad bar in the cafeteria for lunch.  This week I brought a grain/seed mix from home to add to it; split peas, lentils, barley, bulgur wheat, red quinoa and sunflower seeds. Top the salad with WF no oil balsamic vinaigrette and a plum on the side- perfect lunch.
Hummus with carrots and pita and some grapes for my afternoon snack
Dinners are listed above
And I always have half a bottle of kombucha after dinner every night.
If I need a snack at night or even in the morning I usually grab a banana or some sprouted grain toast with almond butter. Actually one of my favorite snacks is toast with almond butter and banana smushed on top. Yum!
So there it is folks; that’s what’s for dinner….and breakfast…and lunch.

Oh, and before I go I wanted to share a quick recipe with you. Paul asked for me to pick up some prepared salads from the store to accompany his sandwiches at lunch time. I couldn't find anything I thought he would like so instead I grabbed a bag of the pre-shredded brocoli slaw mix and came up with this quick easy salad for him.

For the dressing I combined rice wine vinegar, Bragg's liquid aminos (soy sauce would work just fine here), agave, sesame oil and Sriracha sauce. I just eye-balled the amounts but if I had to guess I would say 2 teaspoons vinegar and Bragg's, 1/2 teaspoon agave, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and 2 teaspoons of Sriracha. Mix to combine and then add in the brocoli slaw mix and toss it around until it is all mixed together.

My personal recommendation with this sauce- start with one teaspoon of Sriracha and go from there. Also, if you like your sauce sweeter or saltier or whatever taste it and then add more to make it suit your tastebuds. I keep all of these ingredients on hand in my pantry so when I decided to make up a salad/slaw for Paul I just pulled out what I thought sounded good. It turned out great.
What are you eating this week? Are there any foods you eat regularly to help with your training/recovery?
“It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind.” ~Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment