Monday, September 17, 2012

The Joys of Moving

I am so, so, tired. Physically tired and worn out.
Moving is exhausting
My body is so tired
Packing, ugh
Loading up the moving truck
And Paul’s car
And my car
Then unloading all the vehicles
Then unpacking all the boxes
And there are just so many boxes
Oh and I should mention we moved into an apartment on the second floor which made moving even more fun.
It was a rough weekend.
I am about 70% finished unpacking. Thankfully the main areas; living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, are pretty much complete which makes our new place livable. The only areas left to finish are the dining room, second bedroom, and balcony area which I am hoping to get through in the next few days.  It would be great to have everything unpacked by the weekend. I could really use a few days to rest and relax and I am hoping to do so this weekend.
Yesterday morning, while trying to motivate myself to get out of bed, I was thinking back through all of the moves I have made over the past 17 years. It was fun to take a trip down memory lane. 
In the 17 years since I finished high school I have lived in 9 states and at least 20 different residences- so many it’s hard to remember.
In our almost 8 years of marriage Paul and I have lived together in 6 states and 9 different residences.
You might think that is because we are a military family but the funny thing is that in the 3.5 years Paul has been in the Army the only place we have lived is Texas.  Not quite what we had in mind when he joined. We are hoping that Navy life will take us to some new and exciting places, hopefully even abroad.
I like moving. I like living in a new place. Especially when that new place is somewhere I have never lived before.
I am not, however, thrilled that I had to move for the third time since arriving in San Antonio but this move was out of necessity so I will make the most of it. Here’s to hoping the next move takes me somewhere new.
Until then, I will enjoy the time I have left in Texas (however long that might be) and make my new apartment my home.
“A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body.” ~ Benjamin Franklin


Balcony at our new place

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice looking porch! I feel your pain. Once, we ASKED to move on to the 3rd floor because there were 50 extra square feet... Every time I loaded up groceries or when we moved out, it so was not worth it. I did like not being in the hustle and bustle of the ground floor but man it was killer.

    Do your bikes live upstairs, or do you have a place to store them outside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess! That picture shows half of the porch. The other, non-pictured portion, is currenly where the bikes are. Once I can get the dining room set up and move stuff around in the second bedroom I will be able to bring the bikes inside. They will be stored in the second bedroom. It will actually be the bike room. That was how we had it set up in the house so I am hoping, dimension-wise, it works here. We shall see. :)

    ReplyDelete