Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Yesterday...


This may be the most difficult post I will ever write.

And if you read this post last week you may have wondered what exactly I was alluding to.

Because there is no easy way to say it I will just start from this point- yesterday, Paul and I filed for divorce.

I may not write much about this going forward. It is deeply personal and involves two people, not just me.

I have discussed writing about this on the blog with him so he knows. You will not get details, just generalities as this is a private matter.

He and I have come to terms with this the best way we know how. We both accept responsibility for the state of our marriage, we both know that neither one of us is 100% at fault. We both are trying to not blame, point fingers or try to knock the other one down.

And although the disconnect between he and I has been broadening for some time now it doesn’t change the reality that walking away from someone after ten years is no easy feat.

We have an incredible amount of good memories. He has loved me, cared for me, supported me in ways no one ever has. He was my constant companion and my best friend, which is why I think the marriage lasted longer than maybe it should have.

I wish every day it was enough. That what we had was enough. I tried to make it so. I wanted to be there for him. To support him. To encourage him. To celebrate every victory. To cry together with every heartbreak but I just couldn’t anymore.

Because I realized being with him was selfish. At this point at least.

Because he needed more than what I could give him. He needed and deserved love.

So, we have decided to divorce now. Amicably. Instead of pushing through this for a few more years, one of us (or both) resenting each other and then having a nasty, hateful divorce.

It is not easy. There are a lot of tears. There is still a bond between us that may never break. And honestly, I hope it doesn’t. I hope that in ten years from now I look back on our life together with warm memories, thankful for having someone like him in my life.

I told him (somewhat jokingly) we may have failed in our marriage but let’s try to not fail at this divorce.

We try (and at times it is extremely difficult) to be civil, calm, respectful and understanding towards each other.  We know there will be, and has been, weeks , days, moments of sadness, hurt, anger, grief and that when we feel those emotions we take a beat.  A break. To not talk to each other with those heated emotions, to not say things we may regret.

And that happens. Yesterday I was an ass. I yelled a lot. In a parking lot of a Publix. Like a spoiled brat.

But Paul, being the understanding person he is, let me talk it out throughout the day and we took all those feelings and thoughts and turned them into much needed discussion points.

And when our therapist canceled our appointment for last night we decided we still wanted to talk face to face. So we went out to dinner together. To talk, to laugh, to share. To try and create some good memories.

Because I want him to look back on October 28th and have something good to hold on to. October 28th will always be the day that we filed for divorce but it will also be the day we ate together at Macaroni Grill, talked about the Red Sox winning game 5 (woot woot!), and shared a lot of laughs and of course a few tears.

So, please know that this decision to divorce is not one we entered into lightly. And just as details of two people’s marriage, and how they carry them out, are their decisions alone; so it is with a divorce. We are the only two people who know what we need, what we want from this and how to handle the decisions that get us there.  We are both beyond fortunate to have an amazing support system, as well as each other, to help us through this.

And we both thank you for all of your support, understanding and kindness moving forward.

Thank you!

XOXOXOXO

Dacia (and Paul)  
 
Taken October 28th, 2013...

11 comments:

  1. I don't often comment, but I wanted you to know my love is with you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sabrina! I (we) appreciate your love and support.

      Delete
  2. As someone who went through a divorce 5 years ago, I understand what you are going through. This post hit me pretty hard because I wrote a similar post when going through mine. It's hard and it remains one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I know it was the right thing to do. Like I said yesterday on Twitter (this must have been what you were alluding to), I'm sending good thoughts to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aubrey. I feel hopeful, although it sounds really shitty to say that, that my life going forward will be what I need. For me. To live my dreams. I appreciate your support. Always!

      Delete
  3. Your strength is a beautiful thing, Dacia. Yes, I read the part about the parking lot. It takes a lot of strength to get out what you're feeling and you've done it, beautifully. (((hugs))) I love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid! I love you to pieces! I appreciate all of your support throughout this entire process, not just the divorce, but all of the changes since we have first met. Youhave allowed me to become the person I am today. For that, I am eternally grateful.

      Delete
  4. Dacia, I feel for you. It has been a year since I went through the same thing. If you need a listening ear I am here for you. I love ya girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! I really appreciate it! Especially since I see you now, so happy, so alive. You give me hope! Love you!

      Delete
  5. thinking of you and Paul too and sending healing vibes to you both. I have been there too. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the ones that make the most sense later on when you look back. love you girl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Renee! You are exactly right, this was a tough decision to make but we made it with the forethought that even though it might hurt more now we had a better chance of parting amicably now than if we get trying to muscle through. Love you!

      Delete
  6. Sending you love, Dacia. As a child of divorce, I've always known that sometimes divorce - while sad - is really the start to a much better life. xoxo

    ReplyDelete