Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Week 15: the Roller Coaster

Last week was a bit of a roller coaster for me.
 It started off with me dropping Paul off at the airport and then running a 15K immediately after- both of which were exhausting- mentally and physically.

Then came a new pair of running shoes
Followed by an injury that popped up during one of my runs that caused me to almost have a complete mental breakdown thinking that this would keep me from running the half
But after some intense thai yoga therapy and some rest I was feeling great; back to normal
I not only was able to finish off my training week strong,  completing  my last long run (12 miles) before the half, I also ended up logging more running miles this week than ever before- 32.5 miles.
I had my confidence back. I felt ready for the half. I knew I could do it. I finished that 12 mile run with fuel in the tank and energy left in my legs- I knew I could push it for another 1.1 miles. I was ecstatic.
Well, ecstatic until Sunday when 2 miles into my 5K pain in my hip caused me to have to walk the rest of the race. I was pissed too. I had just ran my fastest two miles EVER and was on pace to come in at a sub-30 5K- something that I have never done before- and on top of that I was pissed because why the hell was the pain back???
Well, I was pretty sure I had just sabotaged myself for the second time in a week. The first- running in new shoes with less than 3 weeks left  before the half (note: the Brooks have been exchanged for a pair of Merrells- I am sticking with what works for me from now on) , the second- pushing myself only four days after my first hip flare up. Even if I felt great, it was probably quite unwise to push myself that hard. What was I thinking?
So, yesterday, under the advisement of my thai yoga therapist, I headed to a chiropractor to the get to the root of the problem and see if it was something fixable or if it would end up sidelining me from the half- which is now less than two weeks away.
The visit went really well. The root of my problem is my lower back and the cause isn’t running. It is from sitting all day long. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard this either. Tricia, my thai yoga therapist, tells me this pretty frequently. Sadly, my job isn’t changing anytime soon the doctor gave me some stretches to do- at work and at home- and I will try to do better about getting up and walking more at work.
The doctor also told me that I should be fine in a few weeks and that running won’t impact the healing process so he has given me the green light to keep training and to run the half.
I am still planning on taking a few more days off from running. I also plan on seeing Tricia Thursday for my regular Thai Yoga appointment and I also scheduled a follow up appointment with the chiropractor for next week- just to be safe. He thinks that the one adjustment from yesterday is probably all I will need but I would just feel much better seeing both him and Tricia again before the half. I want to help my body heal as best I can.
I also don’t want to do anything that might cause a real injury down the road. So for this week my plan is rest, rest, rest, stretch, stretch, stretch, eat well, and stay positive.
Saturday, if I feel up to it, I will go out for a run. A nice, easy-paced happy run. Until then I will just focus on doing what’s best for my body, my mind and my soul J
Have you ever been sidelined from an injury? What did you do to help your recovery? How did you cope with it?
"We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."  ~Jesse Owens

4 comments:

  1. I have very recently fell to the sidelines due to a knee injury. It has been really hard to deal with, especially knowing that I may need to have surgery. I have not dealt with it well and also developed a bad case of hand to mouth syndrome. Now that I'm starting to fully accept my injury, and accept the disappointment that has come with it, I'm working to leave the see-food diet behind and get my nutrition under control so my body can try to do its thing to help me get better. It is really tough to deal with, but for me, I think accepting what happened and how your plans suddenly changed is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that Racheal! I have been in your position (somewhat, not quite as severe to need surgery) and it is very difficult to stay positive, to not fall back on bad habits and eating for comfort, and trying to continue to make good choices. I know you are strong enough to make it through this injury and come out the other side in a better place than when you started. I really hope you don't need to have surgery but if you do just know that it will make you stronger and it will ultimately make this better for you. Take care!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you're going to be okay for the half! Yay! :) I can already tell the difference after 4 days of my new job how sitting at a desk all day makes my body feel! I didn't realize how much more active I was when I was home all day! What sort of exercises are you doing to help? (I have lower back weakness/issues too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scanned the 10 pages of print outs the doctor gave me- about 2 dozen stretches/exercises- and I am emailing them to you now :)

      Delete