Monday, October 8, 2012

Siclovia- The Rest of It

As you may have read in yesterday's post that I participated in the Siclovia 5K. Siclovia is an event where one of the main streets in San Antonio is shut down to vehicular traffic in order to encourage people to come out and play in the streets.

You can run, bike, rollerblade, skateboard, whatever you want as long as it doesn't involve driving a car. Along the route there are all sorts of activities going on that are free to join in. I saw hoola-hooping, zumba, two guys playing a game kind of like ping pong but using the street instead of a table and giant paddles, there was basketball and dancing, and kids challenges, and a rock climbing wall. It's actually a very fun event.

I saw on the Siclovia Facebook page that 45,000 people attended which is great. I am already looking forward to the next one which is April 7, 2013. Here's hoping it's not quite as cold as it was today.

Here are some pictures I took. I hope this gives you a better idea of what Siclovia is all about.

And if you are in San Antonio, I strongly encourage you to come out to the next event. You won't be sorry.

After the 5K, standing next to the Siclovia route sign


Play in the street


It's probably too hard to see but this man has a small dog who is wearing a hat in his backpack. Kind of crazy


Ronald McDonald handing out apple slices


Two guys playing what I can only describe as street ping pong


Bike parking around some vendor tents

Zumba in the park


Skate/bike ramps


Man on a unicycle....definitely not something I see every day


REI's rock climbing wall


Not the best picture of me but it's the only one I had of us from the day so I'm sharing it with you

Does your community have anything like Siclovia? Have you ever been to an event like this?


2 comments:

  1. How fun! That seems like a very cool event. I just like the thought of taking the effort and time to get people to realize they need to be up and about and being active! Sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very cool. Last year there was one Siclovia. This year we had 2. I know they've talked about having them quarterly but I don't think they are there yet financially. Next one is in April- I am very excited!

    ReplyDelete