Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Running Box

This morning I hurt my leg while running. Well, actually it is my hip. But I don’t want to talk about that. I am pretty sure that what is wrong is completely fixable and that after my Thai Yoga therapy session this afternoon I will be back up and running, literally J
Instead, I want to talk about my running box. My storage box for all my running ‘essentials’
When I first started running I swore I wouldn’t turn into this person. I wanted to be a minimalistic runner, just the basics only. I didn’t want all the gear or gadgets. I just wanted to run.
Yeah, that totally didn’t happen. Well, maybe at first it did but then the more I got into running the more things I wanted/needed and now I have a box dedicated solely to running items.  
Are you curious as to what is in my running box? Well here is a picture.



This is everything I am currently NOT using. Some of this is Paul’s that I claimed ownership of once he left. Don’t judge, you’d do the same wouldn’t you?
-Reflective sleeves (too hot still to wear)
-Spibelt, a gel holder/bib holder belt, and a pouch I can add onto either
-Sleeve for my handheld Camelback
-Gloves (neon yellow gloves to boot) as seen below. Definitely the sexiest picture of me ever taken ;)

-Hats and a neck gator
-Headsweats head bands (2)
-Compression sleeves (2 pair)
-Paul’s Garmin (and its accompanying chest strap) and both of our chargers
-Ankle strap for my Road ID (in case I don’t want to wear it as a bracelet)
What’s missing from the box are the items I use daily; my Garmin, RoadID bracelet, reflective ankle bands and reflective belt (because I run in the dark ), Road ID hat (also reflective), and my Osprey (like a Camelback) I use on my long runs.
Oh, and my ProStretch I use to stretch my Achilles after I run.

It doesn’t just end with the running box. This habit hobby has taken over my closet.
Over the past few months I’ve also accumulated quite the stockpile of tech shirts, sports bras, and running shoes/sandals. I actually need new work clothes but yet any money I save seems to go to running gear, race fees and such.
And this hobby has taken over my calendar, too. My life is planned around my runs and races.
Why, yes- I am planning on running the Philadelphia marathon in November….of 2013.
Yep, I think its official now, I’m obsessed.  
But there are worse things to be addicted to, right?


Do you have a running box? How do you keep all of your essentials organized? Are you hooked on running?
"Every day is a good day when you run." ~Kevin Nelson

6 comments:

  1. I love your box! I have no gear...yet. I do plan on getting a Garmin, once I decide which one I want/need. And I'll have to get some cold weather running gear since I'll be walking/running outside in January.

    What's Thai Yoga Massage like? I noticed a sign for it at the Yoga Center, but know nothing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably have too much winter running gear. I wonder if I will actually use any of this stuff. Lol! Well, i actually have worn the sleeves a couple times already and it is going to be in the 40s/50s the next week when I am running so I probably will use some of this stuff then :) I don't know how I amassed such a collection of stuff so quickly though.

    TY is awesome. It is the best thing ever! I wrote a post about it here: http://runriderepeat.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-favorite-tuesday-hangout.html if you want to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a running basket that lives on top of one of the dog crates in the bedroom. I'll dump shoes, spibelt, empty water bottle, baseball cap, headphones... all sorts of stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the box when we were packing to move and thought it would be a great way to keep all my running stuff together during the move. That why I would be able to find everything. I never unpacked the box, I kept everything in it and just moved it to a shelf in my closet. It has really helped keep me sane instead of always running around the house trying to find stuff.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I've been running for years (withatwoyearbreak) and still don't have that much stuff. I wish I loved running as much as you but I only want a Garmin if it's waterproof for swimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Garmin I have is waterproof and can be used for swimming- it's a triathlon model :)

      Yeah, I do have a lot of stuff but like I said, I did take Paul's stuff and he's been running for years. I'm just happily adding to our stockpile. Lol!

      Delete