Monday, May 12, 2014

Go Big or Go Home

When I made the decision to train for a half marathon, just mere months after running my very first mile, I was completely stepping outside of my comfort zone. Growing up I was not a runner and even after losing over 100 lbs. (at that point) I still wasn’t super comfortable running. Training for a half marathon was a HUGE undertaking.

So was steeping into a boxing studio when I weighed 260 pounds, having never boxed a day in my life, and having the physical endurance of a ground slug. It challenged me more than anything ever had before. It pushed me to the point where I thought I would collapse and die right there from sheer exhaustion.

And when I started taking Nia, Pilates, bikram yoga, qi gong, tai chi classes while I was still 100 pounds overweight having never tried any of those activities before, I knew that something had changed inside me. I had become a person who loved trying new things, loved being challenged, and loved feeling accomplished.

All of those things brought me to where I am today. Cycling, hiking, swimming, running, yoga’ing, boot camping, and dancing through life healthy and fit. All because somewhere inside I found the courage to take a chance, to not let my fear or shame talk me out of not trying something new.

I found a moment where I stopped giving a fudge and just did it.

And what I learned about myself is that I love, love, love group fitness classes and also that I do really well when I have a set training plan –like when I trained for half marathons or when I had a personal trainer guiding me.

But now, here I am almost six months post-surgery and I just feel a bit aimless. I am not training for anything, there are no group fitness classes during the summer at the university that fit around my work schedule, and my personal trainer has moved away.

I am doing the best I can, for the most part, just doing gym stuff on my own but it’s not really cutting it. I need more. I need to be pushed. I need a plan. I need to set some goals and start working to get myself back to where I was before the surgery fitness-wise.

So this weekend, after talking with a friend of mine from high school (thanks, Amy) and then conferring with E, I decided to do something radical and completely outside my comfort zone. Something that might possibly kill me. Ok, it probably won't kill me. I have a feeling though that there will be alot of swearing and acting like I’m about to die.

Over the weekend I decided to buy the Focus T25 program from Beachbody. I know their fitness programs work. I have tons of friends that swear by them. I know that this program will totally help get me back into fighting shape as long as I stick with it, following along as faithfully as I can. I am a bit nervous as I will be traveling to Philadelphia (6 days) and then not even a week later Orlando/Tampa (6 days) then a couple weeks later Savannah (also six days) – basically I will be away from home for 18 of the 42 days after the program is delivered. It’s going to be tough.

My goal is going to be to stick to the routine of T25 5 times a week, which is what the plan dictates, or every day that I am home on travel weeks. I am not sure I will be able to get through the first session in five weeks, because of all the travel, but I am going to do my best.

I also plan on running more, hopefully short runs in the morning after I do T25, and still getting in some gym time after work for weights, start yoga back up 1-2 times a week, and hopefully riding again on the weekends I am home. We’ll see. It probably seems like a lofty goal but I think now is the time to set some lofty goals.

I am definitely in need for some serious ass-kicking.

Bring it on, T25!

Have you ever tried Focus T25 or any other Beachbody programs? What are your thoughts?

Love and hugs-
Dacia
xoxoxoo

2 comments:

  1. I'm still so proud of you! I feel like I'm getting in to the same spot - not sure what to do after the half... Keep your chin up and keep to the grind! You can do it! Go Dacia go! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Any ideas what adventure you will be tackling next?

      Delete