Monday, July 8, 2013

Triathlon Training Recap: Week 3 & Week 4

Here is my recap of weeks three and four of my eight week triathlon training plan. Travel/Fitbloggin’ , plus the readjustment time after, made it a bit difficult to get in all of the planned training sessions these past two weeks but I am not disappointed. That’s the way life works- it’s not always easy to fit everything in. I chose to sacrifice a few swims and runs for the sake of enjoying my vacation, trying new workouts, and getting lots of sleep after. And it’s not like I was being lazy; in two weeks I only took one rest day. My body felt really good with the workouts and activities I was doing so I was able to get in a lot of activity- even if it wasn’t always running, biking and swimming.

Week 3 Plan:

Monday- strength training

Tuesday- bike 50, strength training

Wednesday- run 35

Thursday – swim 30, run 20

Friday- rest

Saturday – run 40

Sunday – swim 30, run 45

Total planned for week 3: two strength sessions, 140 minutes running, 50 minutes biking, 60 minutes swimming

Week 3 Actual:

Monday- AM: bike 50 PM: barre class

Tuesday- AM: run 35 min PM: barre and reformer session

Wednesday- AM: run 30 min PM: barre class

Thursday- rest/travel day

Friday- boot camp and cardio dance

Saturday- yoga and jump fitness

Sunday – run/walk 5K

Actuals for week 3: three strength sessions plus four additional group fitness classes, 95 minutes running, 50 minutes biking, 0 minutes swimming

+1 strength session, -45 minutes running, -60 minutes swimming

Week 4 Plan:

Monday- swim 30, run 15

Tuesday- strength training

Wednesday- bike 40, run 10

Thursday – run 30, strength training

Friday- rest

Saturday – run 45

Sunday – swim, bike, run 30

Total planned for week 3: two strength sessions, 130 minutes running, 70 minutes biking, 60 minutes swimming

Week 4 Actual:

Monday- AM: barre class and reformer session

Tuesday- barre class

Wednesday- barre class

Thursday- barre class

Friday- 60 min bike

Saturday- run 30 (5K), barre class, reformer session

Sunday – 60 min bike

Actuals for week 4: five strength sessions, 30 minutes running, 120 minutes biking, 0 minutes swimming

+3 strength sessions, +10 min biking,  -100 minutes running, -60 minutes swimming

The last two weeks I was unable to swim because I did not have access to, or the weather didn’t allow me to swim in, a pool or open water so that sucked. But, on the bright side, my swim lessons start tomorrow and because of that I will be able to get in at least two swim sessions a week here on out.  Yay!

My running wasn’t too great the past two weeks either; week 3 I was just too busy at FB to go for a run (but I still worked out and walked a ton) and last week I took the mornings off from the gym trying to get back into a normal sleep pattern, especially with the holiday midweek. This week I am hopeful though, I think I will be able to get in all of my training sessions as planned.

Week 5 Plan:

Monday- strength training

Tuesday- bike 30, strength training

Wednesday- run 40

Thursday – swim 30, run 25  

Friday- rest

Saturday – run 50

Sunday – swim 30, run 45

Total planned for week 5: two strength sessions, 160 minutes running, 30 minutes biking, 60 minutes swimming

Wish me luck this week. The running is really starting to increase which is a good thing because next week starts week one of my 12 week half marathon training plan. I will be trying to balance both training plans for the three weeks left until the triathlon. That should be interesting ;)

Action shot on the new spin bike. I was watching Wimbledon, trying to distract myself from the 16 minute climbing (standing) session I was in the midst of...

4 comments:

  1. You are a beast! I love that your tri is a few weeks ahead of mine so that I can follow your progress. :) I can't believe you are training for a 1/2 at the same time. Go Dacia Go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari! The half training shouldn't be too bad since it's just the beginning and my long runs are 4,5, and 6- I think- or maybe 5, 6, and 7. I don't think it will be too hard getting in 3 additional runs during the week either. My plan already class for running 3-5 times so I think it should work. The real challenge starts in August when I start running trails in the heat. That's going to be fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kari - you are a beast! Good luck as your half training starts on top of the tri training. I can't wait to cheer you on at your tri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! Like I said- I am not too concerned about training for both at the same time. I say this now...we'll see how I feel in a few weeks.

      Delete