Tuesday, May 21, 2013

You're Doing It Wrong

I try very hard to be a positive person. I try to never talk bad about other people, or blogs, or what I've read, etc. I try to just write about my life and what I'm up to without letting what other people say or do affect me.

But I'm a human. And some days I just can't let the things I read just roll off my back.

Some days it eats me alive reading the 'words of wisdom' of other bloggers because some times their message infuriates me.

Today was one of those days.

This morning the only thing I could think about was this:

If what you are doing today isn't what you want to be doing for the rest of your life then you're doing it wrong.

That's my opinion.

An opinion that came bubbling to the surface after reading through some posts this morning.

It just kills me that there are people who wake up every day and deprive themself of joy and happiness just because someone else tells them to. People modeling their behavior off of someone else because they believe it will bring them similar successes.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I am just on the other end of the spectrum and so these types of behaviors seem so damaging to me. I believe in moderation, not deprivation. I believe in being active AND enjoying it. I believe that you should live each day trying to make yourself better than you were the day before but not at the expense of your happiness, sanity, relationships.

And when you write about forcing yourself through activities you hate, that make you miserable, just for the sake of a smaller size. And when you cut out foods completely from your diet and either hate yourself for it or binge on them because of it because you feel deprived- well those are just not healthy behaviors.

We need to take back control of our lives. Work towards healthy but don't lose yourself in the process. Because the reality is, when you hit your goal weight/size this does not stop. When you write about these drastic behaviors and tell people they are temporary you must know that you are not setting yourself up for success in maintenance and you aren't helping your readers form healthy, sustainable habits either.

You don't hit goal and then stop. That's not how it works.

This is a lifestyle change. Yup, I said it. It's for life, people! And who wants to be miserable for the rest of their life?

Steps down off the soapbox

16 comments:

  1. A-freaking-men! I agree with you whole heartedly! The people who don't realize that this is a lifestyle are the ones that fail. Life is too short to do something extreme to look better. In the end you may look better, but are you really going to feel better? Probably not....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can do something extreme, that makes you miserable, and sustain it then more power to you, I guess. I just can't and some times it just bothers me that people think that's how it has to be. I know you are not that way and I am glad so many people have you as a role model. You get it. And you will live a long, healthy and happy life because of it. :)

      Delete
  2. I 100% agree with everything you've written here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! It was kind of over the top but I guess I had alot more on my mind than I had initially thought. Lol!

      Delete
  3. This post makes me mentally go through some of my recent blog post's and hope to God I'm not one of these people! But if it is one thing I've learned through YEARS of dieting, the only way it works is if you make it a lifestyle change. Therefore you must find a way of eating and exercising that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. Yes, some days are harder than others, but if you are miserable all the time you are not going to stick with whatever plan you are doing.
    I've had to stop reading a whole slew of blogs because they are negative and keep doing things that aren't working for them. They motivate me to NOT be that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so NOT one of these people Carrie! Not in the least! I love your blog and am so excited you are back. You set an amazing example for any mother's trying to make better choices for themselves and their family. You rock!

      Delete
  4. D-
    You know you have a way of insanely good timing. I am working thru a post (its been harder to write then I could have predicted) on finding this place myself.
    I'm realizing I haven't been successful in many areas lately because I've been going about things with dread....but I'm changing my thinking. Going with happy and seeing where that takes me.
    PS...I miss your face...can't wait to see you and hug you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. D-
    You know you have a way of insanely good timing. I am working thru a post (its been harder to write then I could have predicted) on finding this place myself.
    I'm realizing I haven't been successful in many areas lately because I've been going about things with dread....but I'm changing my thinking. Going with happy and seeing where that takes me.
    PS...I miss your face...can't wait to see you and hug you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! It's always a battle though isn't it? I try to make the best choices for myself daily but you know, it's not always easy. There is always a voice in the back of my mind saying i'm not doing enough, i should push harder, i should just give up carbs and lose those last pounds, i should do anything possible to get skinny...but that voice is getting quiter. and most days i win :) I cannot wait to see your post!

      Delete
  6. Appreciating the commitment you put into your website and detailed information you present.
    It's awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same out of
    date rehashed information. Great read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.


    Also visit my web page: viral video marketing strategies

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES, YES, YES! I refuse to do anything to lose weight that I'm not willing to do for the rest of my life. I will eat junk food when I want. I will skip a workout every now and then. I will let loose for a weekend and hop back on the wagon on Monday. That's life. And I want to live it, not sit around feeling deprived. <3 you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Andrea! You are awesome. And you get me, which makes you even awesomer ;) lol!

      Delete
  8. The phrase 'If what you are doing today isn't what you want to be doing for the rest of your life then you're doing it wrong' has really resonated with me since I read this post yesterday. I can apply it to my life in general, and as someone who isn't 100% content with where I am right now and what I'm doing, I'e taken it to heart. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aubrey! I am so glad that you liked this post. I was worried that it was coming off as preachy but really I wrote it for people like you (and me) and I am glad that you are going to take what I said to heart. You deserve happiness all the time. Starting now. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm doing a mental inventory of what I've written and choices I've made recently. I don't think it's me... but I do agree with all of this. When I was struggling to hit goal people made all kinds of suggestions - cut out bread/pasta, cut out cheese (please, I'm from Wisconsin, that's practically illegal), or even limit myself to 400 calories per day every other day. Sure, that might work in the short term but losing weight for me (or now maintaining) isn't short term. I need to do this FOREVER so the choices I make HAVE to be sustainable. Nicely written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, it was not you. Trust me. And I sorry if you even thought for a minute it was you. I like to think you and I are pretty similar when it comes to how we handle this process. Beers and bikes, running and parties. You know, balance :)

      Delete