Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The "New" Me...

I am in the midst of changing my name. The divorce was finalized weeks ago, the documents from which changed me back to my maiden name, but I only just changed my driver’s license yesterday. I had been waiting for a window of a few weeks where I wouldn’t be traveling so I didn’t need to be worried that my ID and credit card names didn’t match and cause problems. Yesterday I changed both my license and social security card and updated my name on my auto loan, credit card, and notified my landlord of the change too.

Today it was the bank. New debit card. New checks. The name on both accounts and the safety deposit box has been updated.

So I got the big ones out of the way. Everything else that needs to be changed isn’t quite as urgent.

Well, that’s not 100% true. I need to update my name at work; payroll, my tax forms, get a new ID, and of course all my insurance stuff too. But I need my new social security card first so all of those are on hold until that comes in.

If I am being honest here, which I always strive to be when I write, I am not upset by the whole changing of the name thing. I am not sad. I am not filled with longing or regret of the life that is now in my past. I am, however, annoyed by how many things have my name on it and a bit regretful I changed my name in the first place. You’d be amazed how many things have your name on them…not just the obvious ones- bank accounts, credit cards, ID either. Pretty much everything we do involves the use of our name.

Everything.

I changed my name on Facebook but forgot I needed to change it on my google+/Gmail account.

And my email signature.

And my yahoo account for my fantasy football.

And on every app on my phone.

And my groupon account.

And PayPal.

Oh, and my co-op membership.

iTunes.

My blog.

My cellphone.

Everything!

It’s like a never ending list.

And I am sure there are things I haven’t even thought of yet. One day I will stumble upon them and roll my eyes and sigh heavily as I make the change. It’s inevitable.

I am doing the best I can to keep a list of what has been changed and what still needs to be changed. I am hoping I will have the bulk of these changes made by the end of the week.

I am just ready to be Dacia Root 100% of the time.

I mean, I am Dacia Root. There’s no doubt about that.

Just don’t ask to see my blood donor card….it’s filled with lies and false identities ;)

For now, rant about name change over…

There are far worse things in life than having to sit on hold and fax in paperwork. I am still definitely one of the lucky ones. For that, I am truly grateful.

Love and hugs-

Dacia (Root)

P.S. I have a new blog name. I am going to make a big change. Soon. Well, just as soon as I figure out the actual process. So stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I totally still have accounts in my first married name because I was too lazy to change them. It is such a pain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, can't wait to find out the new blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to your old name! It is a process-I just think when you get married you are so happy and blissful to change it is cute…the other way isn't so fun. Can't wait to hear about the new blog!

    ReplyDelete