Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Triathlon Training Week 1 Recap

Last week was the first week of my 8 week triathlon training plan. As you know, it got off to a rough start but thankfully by Wednesday things turned around and I was able to get in most of my training sessions for the week. Actually the only real changes I had to make to the schedule were subbing in a bike ride in place of a swim and moved the order around a bit. As with any training plan, it’s pretty much a great starting point but I always have to shift things around based off my schedule.

Week 1Plan:
Monday- strength
Tuesday- run 30 min
Wednesday- bike 45, strength  
Thursday- swim 20, run 25
Friday- rest
Saturday- run 30 min
Sunday- swim 30, run 30

Total planned  for week 1: 2 strength training sessions, 115 minutes running, 45 minutes biking, 50 minutes swimming

Week 1 Actual:
Monday- rest (aka hiding under a rock)
Tuesday- rest
Wednesday – run 30 min
Thursday – bike 45 minutes, barre class (which I consider strength training)
Friday- bike 20 minutes, run 25 minutes
Saturday – barre class and reformer session for strength training
Sunday- swim 30 minutes, run 60 minutes (I combined Saturday’s run with Sunday’s)

Sweaty mess after Sunday's swim/run session- hit the 5 mile mark at 52 minutes which was very exciting to see :)

Total for week 1: 2 strength training sessions, 115 minutes running, 65 minutes biking, 30 minutes swimming

+20 minutes on the bike, -20 minutes of swimming

Not too bad for week 1, especially since it started off so rough.

And of course, for this week (week 2) I know I will be making some adjustments to the schedule again. I already moved yesterday’s scheduled workout to today because I needed a rest day and I know Saturday morning’s will be barre/reformer sessions for the foreseeable future so I am not sure what that means for my runs that day. I may actually try to squeeze it in beforehand and see how that goes.

Week 2 Plan:
Monday- bike 30 min, run 15 min
Tuesday- strength
Wednesday- swim 15 min, run 30 min
Thursday – run 30 min, strength
Friday- rest
Saturday – run 35 min
Sunday – swim 30 min, bike 30 min

I was pretty excited this morning because after I did my 30 minute bike ride I ran 1.5 miles in 14:34 which is a 1:04 minute improvement from last week. My goal is to be able to run 1.5 miles in 13:30 during the triathlon. That’s what I am working towards at least. Not sure it’s really a great idea to set time goals for the actual triathlon itself but I do like having a goal in mind to work towards.

Hey, if nothing else it should hopefully help me with my running while fatigued.

Have you ever trained for a triathlon? How strictly do you adhere to your training plan?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to follow your training for the tri (especially since I'm not going to be participating now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad that you won't be doing this with me but we have two half marathons together so I think I will get over it ;) Lol!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on training for your first Tri. (warning, they are addictive!) I did my first triathlon last year, and loved it so much I did 3 others. I am now training for my first half-ironman in September. I try and adhere as close as possible to the training plan, but I take into account a few things:

    1. What is my body telling me? Do I feel that I can push myself to meet what the plan calls for? Or do I need to do something different?
    2. I allow myself the flexibility to move the plan around to balance work, life and family in my training. I just try and make sure that I don't have two hard workouts back-to-back
    3. I make sure to take an extra rest day if I really feel the need. An extra rest day is so much more benefical than pushing through training.

    Good luck! I can't wait to follow and see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I look at the tri training no differently than I did with training for a half marathon. Make the training work for you and rest if you need it. I firmly believe under trained but over rested beats under rested and over trained any day :)

      Delete