Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Voice in Your Head...

I was having a conversation this morning with a male friend and I mentioned some apprehensions I was having about the half marathon this Sunday and he said if I had the drive to sign up for a half then I should be good to go.

 
This got me thinking about how different men and women are.

 
Good thing the founder of Nike was a man. If not their slogan wouldn't be 'Just Do It' it would be;

 
'Should I Do It?'

 
or

 
'Can I Do It?'

 
or

 
'Do I really want to do it?'

 
or

 
'She did it so I can do it too'

 
or

 
'Maybe if I get lucky I can do it'

 
You get my point.

 
Tell me if I am wrong but why does it seem women (or maybe this is just me) are plagued with self-doubt? Couple that with my amazing ability to over-think and over-analyze everything and it is damn near crippling.

 
I want to ‘Just Do It’

 
I don’t want to think about every misstep I could have possibly taken these last 10 weeks. I don’t want to doubt my ability. I don’t want to second guess my training.

 
I just want to wake up Sunday morning and just freaking do it.

 
And I would really like to know what is preventing me from doing just that. I mean I know I will. I will get up and run that half marathon. But I want to know what I need to do/change in order to stop questioning my actions and start believing in myself 100% of the time.

 
What more proof do I need to give myself that I can do it; whatever IT is? How many more goals do I have to pass or successes do I need to achieve before I truly start believing this?

 

10 comments:

  1. Amen, sister! It's amazing how women are so full of self-doubt, and just analyze everything to death. The analyzing can be helpful at times, but the self-doubt...well, not so much.

    I wish I had some wonderful advice on how to just believe in yourself, but I don't. I have the same self-doubt. All. The. Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I'm not in this boat alone. lol! And it's not that I don't know that I can do it. It's all the thoughts swirling through my head in the interim. Some days it's annoying and when I catch a glimpse in the 'simple' man mind I am jealous. Ha! Oh, well. It is still pretty awesome being me and I am sure you feel the same way about yourself.

      Delete
  2. You are so not alone! I have the same thoughts every single day about both health and fitness stuff and just life in general. Good luck on Sunday (not that you need it b/c I know you're going to do it!). I wish I could be there to cheer you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I will think of you on Sunday when I am running :)

      I am glad to know I am not the only one out there fighting that stupid voice in my head. That's why it's really important to have a great support network- they yell louder than that voice ever could ;)

      Delete
  3. You're definitely not alone in this boat... I voiced my concerns to Dan a couple of weeks ago and he said - well you've run 10 miles so what's 3.1 more? You've got this.

    That's true, I have run 10 miles so why does the other 3.1 scare the crap out of me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stupid girly voices! You are not alone my friend!! Good luck on Sunday! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha ha! Ah, if only we could have the simple mindset of a man.

    He is right though; we run 10, we can definitely run 13.1

    And you Jen- you are going to kill your half marathon. It's time to put those demons to rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My secret is 5 words, "How hard could it be?" In all honesty it does very occasionally get me into trouble but for the most part whenever I start to worry I reach for my words and just go ahead with it. You'd be surprised how many things you can do when you think they're easy. Admittedly a lot of those things are really hard (i.e. racing and graduate school in my case) but they're all doable. You've just got to be willing to "man up" and do them! The hardest part is leaving "How hard could it be?" at that and not actually answering the question. You'll be fine, but don't worry, you're not alone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Аnуone who іs willing to get a еffectively-toned stomach can usе this belt.


    Cheсk out my weblog oasislive.it

    ReplyDelete