Thursday, December 18, 2014

Surgery Update- the One Year Mark!

It’s been a year since I had my abdominoplasty/ abdominal panniculectomy.

A whole year.

Can you believe it? I most certainly cannot.

I remember so many details of my surgery day so vividly (and the following recovery days) that it is hard to believe it was a year ago.

I am still very thankful that I underwent the procedure. Even though I had completely accepted the very real possibility that the surgery could in fact alter my life and abilities I am beyond thrilled that my recovery went so well and I am living my life currently without any restrictions. The only thing that isn’t 100% (but it’s getting damn close) is my core strength. I am still a bit weak in the area where my scar line is, my lower abdomen. Other than that, it’s life as normal. Oh and I still have no real sensation on the area below my belly button but that is common and I was told it may never come back. That, however, is quite insignificant in the grand scheme of things though. So much so I almost forgot to mention it. But of course, I want to always make sure I give you full disclosure J

And on that note….guess it’s time for some pictures.


The last post-op pictures I could find were from week 6. 




This morning I took some pictures, you know since it was the year anniversary mark and whatnot I thought it would be a good idea.  *I didn't realize that I had shown my full scar in previous photos...probably would have been a good idea to have taken some photos today that showed the whole thing. Whoops! Next time!








I think I look the same. 

Well, same-ish. Close enough for me to be 100% happy with how I look. My scars have faded so much, especially the one around my belly button. My tummy does stick out a little more but it is pretty solid so I will chalk that up to muscle growth ;) Other than that, I think there is not much difference. Which is a good thing because I can literally feel pain along my scar when my weight goes up and it is not a pleasant feeling. Maybe one day that will go away. For now, I basically have a built in weight gain alarm. LOL!
So...I guess that is about it. Not much has changed, physically, since my surgery a year ago. The recovery took time but I am happy that I was able to progress somewhat easily and am here today, a year later, able to do all of the things I love to do and doing so comfortably. I no longer have to worry about sores or chafing or infections on my excess skin. I can live an active life easily. And that is a really great thing. 

This surgery has helped me both mentally and physically and for that I am grateful. Now that I am healed and am stronger and back to where I was, activity-wise, before the surgery I am so excited to see what the next year brings.

Love and hugs,
Dacia 
xoxoxoxx

No comments:

Post a Comment