Thursday, December 6, 2012

"Treading"

According to my training schedule I should have done a 5 mile tempo run this morning. Unfortunately, I hit snooze one too many times and I knew there was no way I could get in 5 miles before work. So I opted for plan B. Always have a plan B.
After yesterday’s run I had thought I should probably hit the treadmill today. I had read that running on uneven surfaces and lots of turns/corners is the worst thing to do for an adductor injury and my normal 5 mile route is filled with both. Also, side note, 46 turns during the RnR half. Forty-Six! No wonder my leg went out during the half. Anywho, even though I despise the treadmill I know it is probably the best thing for me as far as recovery goes. And of course when I woke up it was raining which just reaffirmed that it would be a treadmill day for me regardless.
Since I knew I couldn’t get in 5 miles on the treadmill time wise (and I was actually kind of happy about that since running at one speed on a treadmill puts me to sleep) I opted for a different routine. Yesterday Melissa from the Daily Mel Blog (@TheDailyMel) posted an article link on FB to a treadmill workout used at the Biggest Loser Resort and since that was fresh in my mind I opted to give it a try. The routine is called ‘treading’ and here is how it works:
·         5 minute warm-up
·         5 minutes as hard as you can go
·         5 minute recovery 
·         4 minutes as hard as you can go
·         4 minute recovery
·         3 minutes as hard as you can go
·         3 minute recovery
·         2 minutes as hard as you can go
·         2 minute recovery
·         1 minute as hard as you can go
·         1 minute recovery 
·         5 minute cool down
Read more about it here
This is what I ended up doing:
·         5 minute warm up: 30 sec @ 2mph, 30 sec @2.5 mph, 1 min @ 3.1mph, 1 min @ 4mph , 1 min @ 5mph
·         5 min run @ 6mph
·         5 min recover @ 4mph
·         4 min run @ 6.3 mph
·         4 min recover @ 4mph
·         3 min run @ 6.6 mph
·         3 min recover @ 4 mph
·         2 min run @ 6.8 mph
·         2 min recover @ 4mph
·         1 min run @ 7mph
·         1 min recover @ 4mph
·         5 minute cool down; 2 min @ 5.1 mph, 1 min @ 4mph, 1 @ 3.5mph, 1 @ 3mph decreasing down to 2 mph
Total time 40 minutes, total distance 3.25 miles which isn’t too bad since half the time was spent walking
The routine was good; it kept my mind engaged and it went by pretty fast. I think doing this on the treadmill was easier on my body since it was on an even surface. I was able to push myself faster, and for longer, than I was when I did intervals on Tuesday outside so that’s a good sign, right?
I am thinking I will use this routine as my speed work once a week for the time being. I also plan on doing my hill work on the treadmill too (for now at least) but I still plan on doing slow/easy paced runs outside. I’m not sure if I will try to do my tempo runs on the treadmill or outside but since I don't have another one on the schedule for 2 weeks I will decide what to do about it then.
Do you run on a treadmill? How do you keep engaged and excited while doing so? Any tips?
“The past does not define, you the present does.” ~ Jillian Michaels

3 comments:

  1. I unfortunately have no words of wisdom because I hate running on the treadmill. For some reason it hurts my shins sooo much more than running outside and the whole time I whine and cry and complain. If you find any tips send them my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently started running on the treadmill again. I do 2 days inside on the treadmill and 1 day outside each week. I'm surviving solely by watching Friday Night LIghts on netflix streaming on my ipad. The time flies by for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look on Pinterest there are many treadmill workouts which will increase the calorie burn and keep you motivated.

    ReplyDelete