Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Just Checking In

First off, can I just say really? Really? It’s December freaking 4th! When did that happen? Christmas is a mere 21 days away and Hanukkah starts this weekend. Crazy! I am thinking I should probably buy some Christmas cards soon, huh? This time of year is always so crazy-fewer work days but the same amount of work. How is anyone supposed to relax?
Well, I don’t really have too much new to report. Last week I went to three barre classes; Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, and I ran four times; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Well technically I ran five times because on Sunday I ran four miles on my own and then a few hours later took part in the Color Me Rad 5K which I jogged (when we could- it was kind of a cluster) with friends. I also got in a short bike ride to/from Saturday’s barre class, a Thai yoga therapy session and attended a Journey Dance class lead by Toni Bergens (founder/creator) herself which was absolutely amazing. It was a busy but fun week.
My running is getting better. I think I am almost back to 100%. This morning’s run (intervals) proved to me I am not quite there yet though. On Sunday, when I did my four miles, I ran the all uphill mile (mile 3) in my best time to date. I think it was 11:44- my first sub-12 min/mile for that one. It was a big achievement for me since I have ran that route quite frequently since we moved to our new place back in September. It may seem like a small victory but after the last month I’ve had it’s the equivalent of moving mountains.
Barre classes are going well too. I like them. They are challenging. They show me how little core and upper body strength I really have which just goes to reaffirm my need to be in a class like that. The class itself is good, the workout is pretty intense but the people there aren’t really welcoming. It’s very weird to feel completely isolated in a room full of people. It’s the first time I have participated in a group class and felt so awkward. But I know that class will really help me strengthen and tone- two things I am in desperate need of- so I will push through.
Since I am taking Saturday barre classes I had to move my long run day to Sundays which means missing out on my Sunday morning group bike ride. This stinks not only because I love to ride but because I love spending the morning with the group. Everyone is super friendly and talkative- it is a very social ride. This past Sunday I timed my run so that I ended up at the meet up spot at 7a so I could say hello to everyone. It was nice seeing them, even if they did make me feel guilty about missing out on the ride. I saw something posted on FB from the San Antonio Bikes group that they are doing a ride this Saturday- a tour of the San Antonio Cultural Arts Westside Murals. It doesn’t start until 11a so I can do both the barre class and the bike tour so I am super excited about that.
I realized that since I will be spending most of my active hours running (alone) or at barre class (feels like I’m alone) and I spend my workday at a desk, on a computer, with very little interaction with others, that it is important to me that I make time for things like group bike rides or Journey Dance/Nia classes where I can be both active and social. If I don’t I could literally spend a whole weekend talking to only my dogs, and Paul/my parents when they call, which is kind of weird.
I guess for me finding my balance includes finding ways to be active socially. Or socially active. One of the two. It would be great if I could find a running partner or group for my long runs. Yeah, I think finding a Sunday morning running group would be great. If you know of any in the greater San Antonio area let me know.
For now, I will just continue on with my half marathon training plan, for 3M in January, and try to build up some muscle strength to help get me ready. I have the SARR Mission 10-Miler coming up on 12/15 and that will really be a good test as to whether or not I can do the 3M half. Fingers crossed. I am so ready to be 100%, injury free again.
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" ~ Carl Bard
Some pics from Color Me Rad. If you have the opportunity to do a color run I highly recommend it. Super fun!








2 comments:

  1. Dacia! I'm so jealous of all of your fun activities. You need to hurry up and get to my part of the world so we can do fun stuff together. The color run looks like such a blast. I'm doing one at the end of the month and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome Jodi! You are going to have so much fun at the color run!

      Yes, I cannot wait to get there either! We are going to so much fun stuff together!

      Delete